Friday 3 December 2010

Arancini

Arancini are deep fried balls of risotto, and I had my first today. Went past a 'real food' exhibition thing outside the Southbank Centre, and prepared to sneer at the morally-correct marmalade and other such daftness. However, I managed to get a grip and just looked around like most normal folk would.

The arancini stall was intriguing, and what with a bit of charming chat from Australian ball frying man plus my innate gluttony, it all upended my better self and I was forced to order an arancini garlic wrap.

This was a wheat wrap out of a packet, arancini, lettuce, tomato, apple and garlic mayonnaise.

Summary: this was fried cheesy carbs coated in breadcrumbs (more carbs) wrapped in carb. Of course it was bloody lovely.

Specifics:

garlic mayo-was prepared to be disappointed, but surprisingly nice and not at all kebab shop.

apple-worked really well, another surprise.

arancini-deep fried risotto balls sounds like a 2 a.m. experiment, but came out really well, and surprisingly crispy on outside and soft and yielding within. Like me.

Wraps out of a packet-never a huge fan, but what's a stallholder to do?

This was all courtesy of an outfit called Arancini Brothers, and indoor unfreezing eating facilities by the lovely tolerant people at the RFH.

No comments:

Post a Comment